Monday, July 18, 2011

Big, Bigger, and Biggest


Craig, A Welcome Sight

We left Port Alexander at 10:15 in the morning to make the 75 mile trek to Craig located on the west side of Prince of Wales Island, exposing us to the elements of the Gulf of Alaska.  The seas started getting rough around Cape Decision and continued to build as we headed south.  A pod of whales passed us as before, making their journey in the opposite direction.  We cruised near Kuiu Island and the Spanish Islands in rough seas that were still comfortable for us so we continued along the west side of Warren Island.  At this point, the sea’s started to build creating swells between 6 to 7 feet tossing us from side to side in a more violent manner.  Plastic drinking cups and food supplies in the cupboards and in the refrigerator tipped over and rolled around.  I went in the galley to check on things and grabbed the free-standing table to keep my balance; it started to tip so I lowered the table top, which lowered its center of gravity.  When I checked inside the refrigerator, a jar of olives had tipped over and its juice was running over the shelves.  Got d’ Fever was managing well but we were a little uncomfortable with these aggressive seas, something fishermen deal with on a regular basis.  Oh did I mention we were also in fog with only 1 to 2 miles of visibility.  We quickly decided to go on the east side of Warren Island, which gave us some protection from the large swells and made for a more comfortable ride.  By then, Java couldn’t wait any longer and went out on the bow for her potty break; she wasn’t the only one in need!  I started picking things up that were strewn about and began cleaning the inside of the refrigerator.  When I opened the cupboard doors to begin dinner preparations, items came tumbling out.  We continued our cruise past Heceta Island, crossed the Gulf of Esquibel, and then motored between San Fernando Island and Prince of Wales Island, arriving at 8pm in Craig, a welcome sight.

Indication of a Rough Ride


No comments:

Post a Comment